This blog is created to honour the end of my Nationals Inter-School Canoe Championship 2009 and the end of a Canoeist Career in Junior College. The 1st few post will be dedicated towards the setting up of this blog and will convey my thoughts and feeling over the 4 days event to honour the Sports which I really believe in, fought for, bleed for and gave my life to.
Philosophy in life
Sunday, June 3, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

For me, that's a tricky 1 for me to derive at first. I place myself 80 years later, what would I want to be remembered for. Money? Fame? Nah. All those wouldn't matter. I look at steve job, remembered for improving the life of the digital world. Lee Kuan Yew, who spend his life fighting for Singapore, remembered for creating an environment great for us Singaporean, and even at old age, worrying for Singapore. I look at myself. What are human made for. why are we made to be rationale. why are we made to be able to talk & communicate. we are different from animals in these 2 aspects. Hence, we have a purpose to it, 1st to be reasonable in life and by being able to talk, we have a duty towards our family, friends, statesmen and the world. What do I want to remembered as? Someone who can make a difference to this world.

I growed up in an environment of materialistic people, arrogance, and selfishness. I grow up in a world where people despite having everything, are discontented about everything. I want to know. I want to find out the answers. Everyone want to achieve happiness. I want too. Those people pursued all those things, good career, good money, they don't feel happy. What is my definition of happiness. I see life, then as the journey to find happiness. So what is happiness? how can I achieve it.

In my definition, happiness is the state of feeling good, and it should be something that is permanent, not temporary that goes with the tide. And i believe since happiness is a feeling, it is something difficult to achieve. The easiest thing in this world is to be affected by emotions, i.e. it's damn easy to get angry. In contrast, it is also damn difficult to feel good. Hence I conclude if happiness means feeling good, I have a damn heck of a time. It must then depends on something that is more, controllable and hence I decided it's my mentality instead. If i have a willpower, so much such that I can control whatever I want to do, and control whatever i don't want to do, I will be free of suffering.

Someone once asked Socrates, you do not change the food you eat, you eat cheap stuffs. Is it because you do not have the $$ to buy good wine and meat? Socrates replied: I eat poor stuffs, but I'm satisfied with them. You on the other hand, crave for good food, and without good food, you are not happy. Aren't you at the suffering or mercy of the need for pleasure? Not only food, the craving for sex, great food, fame, luxury. I on the other hand, need none of this to be satisfied.

Through Socrates, I realize that we human suffer a lot, cause we crave for so many things. I decided therefore that, if I can be free of all this, I can be happy, in my own mood at least. Therefore, my mentality should be strong.

Apart from a good mentality, I should have something to work towards, that can make me proud in life. Since we have a duty towards people, why not, let my philosophy in life, be that to help people, by helping them in their mentality.

I therefore, see my definition of life, is to be happy, and happiness to achieve via a strong mentality, to withstand the craving of human nature, and with this mentality, to adapt to whatever that intends to make me miserable, like jobs, failure, and to help those whom I have a duty towards, to my friends, family and next time country.
and therefore, having this philosophy in life, I can assure my lasting happiness, by focusing on the strengthening of my mentality, and a journey to gain wisdom, I believe I can achieve happiness, which is my arching philosophy in life.
consider the maxim that, it isn't the thing you love that comes. it is what you have come to love. So, yep. come to appreciate what life has to offer, and appreciate each of us is special in our own rights. Success is our effort crafted by our will, is a part of us. So the weakness in us, that makes for failure, a part of us too. And each of us is special Sean. How meaningless life will be if you're born to own in everything, born to be rich to buy all things.